I recently had a conversation with someone about how wearing makeup affects the way others perceive us. We live in a society where people are typically expected to look a certain way based on their gender and corresponding social roles. People frequently make assumptions about women and men of all ages based on the amount or type of makeup they wear. Or simply based on the fact that they wear makeup at all!
On the one hand, people who wear a lot of makeup can be seen as:
- Attention seekers
- Unattractive without makeup
- And more…
On the other hand, women who don’t wear enough makeup can be seen as:
- Uninterested in male attention
- And more…
I personally did not feel fully comfortable wearing makeup until I was about 23 years old, precisely because I was worried that people would judge me based on my choice of makeup.
So what does wearing makeup really say about you?
Regardless of your gender, age or any other personal characteristics, what makeup says about you is quite simple. It says that, on that particular day, you chose to put some on. That’s it. Wearing makeup does not say anything about you beyond that.
We all have our own reasons for wearing makeup and none of them have anything to do with the assumptions listed above. People will continue to make unfair assumptions so you might as well just wear whatever kind of makeup you want!
Here are some of my personal reasons for wearing makeup:
- Express creativity – Makeup is a form of art and it is a great way to express my creativity! Every day is a new chance to try something new.
- Highlight natural features – I feel completely fine going out in public without makeup on. But if I do choose to wear makeup, it’s a tool that I can use to highlight my natural features.
- It’s fun! There is no pressure to get it perfect. The point is just to enjoy the process. I often enjoy the process of putting makeup on just as much, if not more, than the end result.
What are some of your reasons for wearing makeup? Let’s chat in the comment section below!
Have you seen my new Cruelty-Free Indie Brands List? Check it out here!