The first time I texted my bestie to talk about Galentine's Day, she simply assumed that I had made a typo and truly meant Valentine's Day. To be fair, I had never heard of Galentine's Day until very recently. After Googling the term to find out where it came from, I discovered that it was coined by the character Leslie Knope (played by Amy Poehler) in Parks and Recreation back in 2010! For those of you who (like me!) had never heard of this before... Galentine's Day is essentially like Valentine's Day, except you spend it with your girlfriends and it is celebrated on February 13th. I'm all for spreading love amongst women so I'm definitely planning on celebrating Galentine's Day this year with my "galmates" (a.k.a. gal soulmates). So, single or not, here are 7 fun ideas for your Galentine's Day!
1. Get cookin'
Who doesn't love to gather around good food? You can plan a bunch of different food-related activities for your Galentine's Day. For example, you can have a potluck with your girlfriends, you can take a cooking class together, you can go to a wine & cheese (or organize your own) or you can simply meet for tea and biscuits.
2. Spa night
You can either treat yo self with a little spa session or you can set up a spa night at home. You can go all out (with your face masks and cucumbers) or you can stick to doing your nails.
3. Get creative
You can either try to find a "wine and paint" class in your area or you can set one up at home. It could be canvas painting, pottery making, ceramic painting or even just adult colouring. Whatever your jam is - Gather your girlfriends and get creative together!
4. Express your love for her
You can give your girlfriend a handwritten card or note where you tell her how you love her. While the love between girlfriends often doesn't need to be expressed in words, it is nice to have a little reminder once in a while. If you are a group of girlfriends, you can do a type of "Secret Santa" where you each pick a name and address your note to that person. (This was an idea suggested to me by my bestie - thanks bella!)
5. Get movin'
You can plan to go do a fun physical activity with your girlfriend. Whether it's zumba class, yoga, skating or laser tag! Just gather your girlfriends and get movin'!
6. Do that thing you've been talking about
I don't know about you, but my girlfriends and I consistently have great ideas about things we want to do together. But life often has a way of getting in the way... This is the perfect opportunity to actually go do that thing you've been talking about! Whether it's going to see that new exhibition at the museum or simply staying in and spending quality time together with a bottle of wine - Do it!
7. Give her a thoughtful gift
To be clear, when I say a thoughtful gift, the emphasis is on the word thoughtful. You don't have to go out and spend a ton of money. Just as long as it is thoughtful, I'm sure your girlfriend will love it! Here are a few ideas:
- For your COFFEE-LOVING & BOOKWORM girlfriend >> This "Reading is Sexy" Mug from Chapters Indigo or a "Hot Girls Read" Mug.
- For your SPA-LOVING girlfriend >> Lush has a ton of new products 0ut specifically for Valentine's Day. They also have beautiful pre-wrapped gift sets! (Lush is cruelty-free and most of their products are vegan. Product will be marked with a capital "V" if it is vegan).
- For your NAIL POLISH ADDICTED girlfriend >> Nail polish or nail wraps from NCLA's Valentine's Day Collection (NCLA is cruelty-free and 100% vegan!).
- For your SASSY girlfriend >> In real Leslie Knope spirit, you can get her a "Uteruses Before Dudereses" or "Ovaries Before Brovaries" mug or wine glass, such as those available in the Crass&Sass etsy shop.
- For more cruelty-free and vegan Galentine's gift ideas, check out this awesome video or post by Logical Harmony.
What are your plans for Galentine's Day? Let me know what you have planned in the comment section below!